Well, hello there. Have you all been enjoying my little break? It’s been really busy here — lots of work on the house (it’s finally starting to come together) and family time. We’ve had a wonderful weekend — both of the boys were home for BigDaddy’s BIG birthday.
WOW. I love the birthday posts I see here and there that list x number of fun things for an x birthday. I hope you’ll indulge me a little 80 post about my wonderful Dad.
- BigDaddy was born in a house, not in a hospital.
- He’s the youngest of two boys.
- Brownie was his first dog.
- Brownie used to wait on a bridge for BigDaddy to come home from school.
- Tippy was his next dog.
- BigDaddy cries at the drop of a hat.
- He chose the Three Layer Chocolate Cake for his 80th birthday cake.
- He accidentally stuck a knife in his eye when he was 4 years old.
- He can still see.
- His father was a government trapper.
- His mother was an avon lady.
- They always had a coyote or two in a kennel in the backyard.
- And a few pigs.
- He loved to go on the mountain trips with his dad.
- He shot a bear when he was 12.
- He’s always felt badly about that.
- He has a great sense of humor.
- He was the class clown growing up.
- When he was 9 or 10 the boys and girls in his group of friends used to get buck naked in a box car and throw plums at each other.
- He pulled lots of pranks in high school.
- Little things like turning over outhouses and hanging high school teachers out of second story windows upside down.
- Things that would get you put in jail these days.
- He says people back then didn’t take themselves so seriously and could take a good joke.
- He can fix anything.
- And rebuild a car engine.
- He misses the mountains.
- He’s a really hard worker.
- He’s had two quadruple by-passes.
- And didn’t complain a bit.
- Except about “that nurse” who taped the IV to his arm and then ripped out his arm hairs when it was time to go home — apparently that hurts way more than having your chest cracked open.
- So, he says he’s never going through that again.
- When he was 4 or 5 he went off to play and forgot to tell his mother who was scared to death when she couldn’t find him.
- He got “the switch” for that when he came home.
- That was rare.
- He learned his gentle ways from his parents.
- He loves to do woodworking.
- He still has all of his thumbs and fingers.
- Although, one thumb keeps getting in the way of the saw.
- He’s made each one of his grandchildren a beautiful keepsake chest.
- If you’re a street vendor in Strassbourg selling belts, he’ll buy a bunch of them from you.
- Even if they’re WAY too big.
- And then he’ll give them to his children and grandchildren for Christmas presents.
- BigDaddy tells a mean corny joke.
- Most people don’t get them.
- He used to be a runner.
- That’s how he knew he needed heart surgery.
- Before low-cholesterol drugs, when they told him he must adhere to a low-cholesterol diet, he was very strict.
- Even when it meant he couldn’t eat anything fun.
- Everyone admired him for his determination.
- He said he just wanted to live to see his grandchildren grow up.
- He’ll give you the shirt off of his back.
- He loved hiking in the Alps.
- And cried over their beauty.
- He loved visiting Great Britian too.
- Especially Wales, where his ancestors are from.
- He cried at The Big Pit.
- We tease him that he’s cried all over the world.
- When we were little girls and got sick, BigDaddy was the one who took care of us.
- And he took a 4-month leave of absence from his job to take care of his dying father-in-law.
- He’s a wonderful grandpa.
- He always made me feel special when I was growing up.
- Especially through those awful teenage years.
- He loves to make people laugh.
- He loves Sealyham Terriers.
- He knew MeMum when they were growing up but they didn’t become an “item” until after high school.
- They eloped to Lake Tahoe.
- He’s very proud to be a Korean War veteran.
- He has a degree in Industrial Engineering.
- But had a career as a marketer in the aerospace industry.
- We moved a lot and he always went ahead to pick out the new house.
- He always did a great job.
- And made our moves fun.
- We each got a special one-on-one trip across the country in the pink jeep.
- He taught us how to swim.
- And suffered with us through algebra.
- He loves a beautiful woodworking tool.
- He loves his girls.
- And his grandchildren.
- And they’re all crazy about him.
- He’s the father everyone wishes they had.
Happy, Happy Birthday BigDaddy! We all love you dearly!!!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Thanks for stopping by!